Monday, May 11, 2015

A Child's First Console


You can rent, you can borrow, you can even steal (I'd advise against it), but nothing beats having something that is truly yours. Something where you decide when to use it, how to use it, and when to loan it out. Something you earned with your own hard earned money, or your mother bought it for you as a gift, whatever works, and something that will always be yours in one way or another. I am here today to talk about A Child's First Console.

Ready to feel old? In just one more week the Nintendo 64 will be celebrating its nineteenth birthday. Crazy! Seems like just yesterday we were unboxing this bad boy for the first time and seeing what it could do. May not have been as powerful as the PlayStation, or come anywhere close to its gigantic library, but it still had a lot going on for it and I'll be talking about those things today, but first some backstory. People do love origin stories, right? Right...?

  Second control port? I always put it in port number one here.

My brother was the first one to get a Nintendo 64 around 1998. I'm guessing because one of the games I watched him play was Ocarina of Time. He decided he didn't care for it much because it didn't have a lot of adult oriented games, which it didn't since Nintendo always marketed to children and families. I would've gladly taken it off his hands, but like all things he sold he decided to give it to our cousin. Man, they got a lot of shit from him.

I wouldn't get my own console until a few years later. Since I didn't have my own room I had to play games in the living room meaning whenever dad wanted to use the TV I had to shut her down. What I wouldn't have done for something like the Wii U back in those days. Long before I even had the system in my possession I had a copy of Ocarina of Time and would play it over at a friend's house while we saved up money to get me a Nintendo 64. Ocarina of Time became the first N64 and Zelda game I've ever played.

Not long after acquiring the system we got some more games for it on the same day: Banjo Kazooie, WCW vs. nWo Revenge, WCW vs. nWo World Tour, WWF WrestleMania 2000, and Yoshi's Story. I admit I initially scoffed at Yoshi's Story, but once I gave it a chance I came to love them. I still have all my games for the system even to this day and they all work, though lately I had to result to cleaning them out with a Q-tip. They'll get no blow job from me.

  Who remembers this? Best N64 design by far.

Let's talk games. Chances are when you think N64 you think Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, or Perfect Dark. I played GoldenEye, but since I wasn't big on FPS games at the time I didn't care for it. Couldn't play Perfect Dark anyway because it required an Expansion Pak (nice spelling, guys) and we wouldn't pay extra for an add-on just to play a couple of games. Ended up missing out on Majora's Mask and Donkey Kong 64 because of it.

While the Sony PlayStation was still struggling with mastering 3D, the N64 already had games like Super Mario 64 which was the perfect 2D to 3D transformation for the franchise and influenced a lot of the other 3D platformers to come out afterwords. Frankly, their games don't feel as dated compared to the PS1's library. I can go back to a game like Ocarina of Time and be sucked in in no time flat, but with PlayStation? My eyes need a minute to adjust.

The N64 has the best wrestling and racing games to come out in the 1990s. Only games to come close on the wrestling side of things is WCW vs. The World and some of the SmackDown games. The N64 had World Tour, Revenge, WrestleMania 2000, and No Mercy. Racing wise? Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong Racing, and Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA. I realize that series has also been ported on the PlayStation, but that specific entry was only on Nintendo 64. Not to mention the much superior version of BattleTanx Global Assault.

Nintendo 64 gave us plenty of Mario titles like Party, Golf, and Tennis. Yeah, they actually managed to make Golf and Tennis fun for kids. That's no easy feat. Remember Pokemon Snap? Remember how awesome it was to see the Pokemon in 3D for the first time? That was just about taking pictures and we went crazy over the thing. I still remember seeing Mew for the first time and going to Blockbuster to have stickers made out of the photos I took. Then later we got Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2.

Super Smash Brothers? The game that Nintendo World Championships should have been. Back then this game was like the Avengers to Nintendo fans: it had all the main Nintendo characters like Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, and various others. I was first introduced to Samus, Star Fox, Captain Falcon, and various others through this game. The single player where you fight your way to a giant Mario hand? Awesome! Nowadays, Melee is probably my favorite Super Smash Brothers as it's more refined and has way more characters to choose from, but for its time Super Smash Brothers was the place to be.

  Mario is such a diva.

Not every game was a winner, but you'd be hard pressed to find a single game system that has nothing but high quality games. Sooner or later someone's is going to make crap. Superman 64 is infamous for being one of the worst video games ever created and it's amazes me I was patient enough to get to an actual stage on that. Games like WCW Mayhem, the first BattleTanx, and Castlevania isn't nearly as awesome as I remember them being. Mayhem used to be my favorite WCW game solely for the fact it had every single WCW arena. BattleTanx 1 is fun, but Global Assaults ages it by a huge margin. Castlevania 64 was my introduction to the Castlevania series and I always played as the witch. Witches are cool. You can't deny those skeletons are awesome, though. SKELTONS ON MOTORCYCLES!

Okay, I have to defend the controllers for a second. “OMG THEY LOOK SO HORRIBLE!” Looks can be deicing, my friend. Sure, the N64 controller looks like it was designed for a three- armed mutant, but they're actually very comfortable in your hands. D-Pad is for 2D and control stick is for 3D. Never had much problem with the shoulders button or the Z on the butt of the controller. The GameCube controller looked more pleasing to the eye until closer inspection. Why is the A button so big? Why is the B button so small? The shoulder buttons so heavy? The D-Pad is impossible! I'll take the N64 controllers over it any day of the week.

  I love this logo! It's no PS1 boot-up screen, but it'll do.

Long story short, this article helped me to realize just how much the N64 means to me. I'm glad to have it as a part of my childhood and will never part with it as long as it works, and I am happy to announce that it still works even to this day. Nintendo was a big part of my life growing up and I'll always be thankful. I'm also thankful to have a mother who's very generous.

Hi, Mom!

Now, I open the floor to all of you. What was your first console growing up and do you still have it today? What were your favorite and least favorite games for it?

Nintendo 64 Games

No comments:

Post a Comment