Friday, May 15, 2015

Rogue Friday: Platformers


Platformers, oh how I adore you. From the 2D side-scrolling of the past, to full revolutionary 3D that came about in the 1990s there are so many classics that came about because of this genre, and I'm going to take this time to honor the ones I had the pleasure of playing growing up.

Let's get the obvious out of the way: Mario. Mario heavily influenced both 2D and 3D platforming with Super Mario Brothers on the NES, and again with Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64. Three decades and the little Italian plumber is still going strong. This brings us to our other platforming heroes.

  Gotta go fast!

Sonic the Hedgehog competed head to head with Mario in the 1990s during the first console wars between Sega and the Nintendo. The game's main selling point was its speed that brought the blast processing of the Genesis to its limits. While it never had quite the same success in 3D gaming like Mario has, the 2D platformers in the Sega's heyday was considered one of the best games of the era. Especially Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Ironically, while I played a lot of Genesis in my time, I played very little Sonic. The only Sonic game I played on the Genesis was Sonic 3. I wouldn't play the other games until years later. I finally got to play the first two Sonic games through the Genesis collection that came out and fell in love with 2. The game had just the right amount of speed and platforming and wasn't as hard to get down as the first game. 

  DIE YOU ROBOTIC BASTARD!

Who could forget Mega Man? The Nintendo turned multi-platform that took the world by storm. I had a rather unique introduction to the series. By the time I played them our NES was sold to our cousins and I never had the Genesis remake of the first three games. I had the obscure DOS version of the first and third Mega Man which was like a poor man's version of the games. Despite that, I still greatly enjoyed the third Mega Man game and came across Mega Man X, X4, and Legends in the future. I also really loved the old cartoon series.

Only recently have I managed to get my hands on the old NES games 1 – 6 with the Genesis remake to boot. Eventually, I'll sit down and give them a proper review in the future. I think I owe it to myself to play the superior versions of 1 and 3, though if I had a dime for every old retro game I still want to play I wouldn't need this blog. I could retire in harmony and live in a mansion on the edge of town away from human society. Mega Man has gone through two re-imaginings and the way they've done it kept the original games afloat even after their technical reboots. Something you don't see in a lot of reboots. Shame that the franchise have been dead for years, but at least we'll always have the older games to keep us company.


Then there's the lovable Crash Bandicoot. God, I haven't talked about this guy in years! Crash came onto the scene the same year as Super Mario 64 and has a trilogy of games on the PS1 that are still considered the best in the franchise to this day. Like a lot of other games in my past, I was introduced to this series through the second game which remains my favorite in the series.

Crash managed to make waves in a genre where Mario and Sonic mostly dominated with fun level designs, memorable characters, various facial expressions of our title character, and hilarious death scenes when you took a hit. He more or less became the Mario/Sonic of the Sony PlayStation before he started being ported to every system known to man.


Banjo-Kazooie was one of the best platformers to come out for the Nintendo 64. Fun characters, voices who spoke nothing but gibberish, and plenty to explore in each new level. Even the game over screen was worth a watch whenever you came across it. Banjo-Kazooie was mainly about finding musical notes and puzzle pieces to advance to the next stage. You could walk on land, fight enemies, swim underwater, and hover for a limited time thanks to Kazooie on your back.

There was a second game that came out called Banjo Tooie, but I never got around to playing that. Unfortunately, I've been made aware of the horrible Xbox game that came out years later. I'm going to do myself a favor and skip that one. It's just too depressing. If you like platformers and don't mind old games than I recommend giving Banjo Kazooie a playthrough.

I remember this stage. I hated this stage!

This may be a little on the obscure side, Croc is about a little crocodile who sets off to save his friends known as the gobbos from the evil Baron Dante. Croc was released for the PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Microsoft PC, and Game Boy Color with one sequel title. On the graphics scale the game looks amazing even today and is one of the few PS1 titles to still hold up. With the decision not to have voice acting the first game possesses amazing atmosphere letting gamers get sucked into the environment.

I touched on the game briefly in one of my first reviews back in 2011, so you can read more about it in the links below. Like a lot of platforming games, Croc becomes pretty frustrating later on, but it's satisfying when you finally get past a difficult part. I haven't played the second game in this series either, but I do have it so who knows? You may see more Croc crop up around here sooner than you think.

  FIRE!

Spyro is another platformer that had an amazing trilogy of games for the PlayStation only to be handed off to new developers and create sequels that never lived up to the first three titles. I was lucky enough to be able to play all three games for the PlayStation and I enjoyed them immensely. Spyro 2 being my favorite of the bunch. I couldn't get enough of the cavemen stages in that game.

You can breathe fire, charge head first, and glide to avoid various obstacles. The first game focused on freeing the other dragons who have been turned to stone by Gnasty Gnorc, the second game is more focused on collecting talisman to confront Ripto, and the third on saving dragon eggs. That little side thing you did on the first game becomes the focus point of the third game's plot. Kind of cool, actually. Only new Spyro game I played after these was Enter the Dragonfly and I didn't care to play it much. The whole beginning tutorial was just ripped from Year of the Dragon.

Platformers may be a bit of a niche genre these days, but with projects like Yooka-Laylee being funded, the genre may very well make a return some day. In the meantime there are still plenty of classics platformers in the past to look up if you haven't already. This is ToriJ signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment