Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Top Ten Final Fantasy Games


I don't think it's any secret by now that I love Final Fantasy. It was my introduction to the RPG genre and remains one of my favorite series of all time. I've reviewed several games from the franchise, and I plan to review a lot more as soon as I can get around to it, but in the meantime I want to focus on ten entries in the franchise that have stood out to me through the years and might have stood out to you, too. Prepare for an adventure as we embark on the one Top Ten list where nobody is going to come out satisfied. This is ToriJ's Top Ten Final Fantasy games!

10.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that not many lists include this entry, and I can see why. It does take a lot of trial and error to get any enjoyment out of the actual title, but once you figure certain things out the game can become a lot of fun. You don't need to punch yourself in the face to get stronger or put Maria in the back row. Walkthroughs have shown us that you can do more damage in the beginning with your fists than with weapons and increase your evade to make up for how much damage the enemy can do. Thanks to this I actually had enemies running away from me than the other way around. The way it sets up makes absolutely no sense, but it was only their second game.

Final Fantasy II is the first FF to have a more constructive narrative. We have actual characters with personalities and are introduced to chocobos and the Empire, which would both make reappearances in many Final Fantasy games to come. The former obviously a bit more than the latter. Even the villain is cool in this game. Mateus actually dies just to come back from hell as a demon to destroy the world. For a game that came out in 1988 that's rather impressive. Unfortunately, we never got this game in the states when it was new and it was only thanks to remakes like Origins that we got to play it. If you haven't tried it out, I'd highly recommend it.

9.

Funny to think the game that started it all can end up so low on the list, but that's only because we came so far since 1987. At least the game actually made it on the list because I've seen this game get shafted before. This was the game that started not just the franchise, but perfected the RPG genre and influenced a lot of other games that came after it. While it doesn't have the story or characters of II, the time paradox, Chaos, and the Four Fiends are phenomenal. With six classes to choose from and no default names the characters you play as really do feel like your own instead of presets and with the way the sprites are it's up to your imagination whether some of them are a boy or a girl.

I didn't get to play this game when it first came out to the states, but I did manage to get my hands on the Origins version. If you want to try this game out yourself I can't recommend that version enough. It fixes a lot of the issues with the original NES version and makes the game a lot more playable. There are more updated versions, but since I haven't played any of them I can't speak to their quality. Origins came with both an easy and the original NES difficulty, so if you're looking for a Final Fantasy that's actually challenging and where grinding matters, look no further. I clocked a lot of hours on this game and I don't regret a minute of it.

8.

People have been curious about my thoughts on FFV, so wonder no longer. FFV was the first of the classic Final Fantasy games that I got the chance to play when I was a kid, and I loved every second of it! The characters, the plot, the world, the humor, all of it came together to make a beautiful package that was a lot of fun to play and it guts me that child ToriJ could only get so far in the game before I had to return it to Blockbuster, but have no fear. This baby is on my PS3 now and I will play it again one day. It has been far, FAR too long since I last gave this bad boy a spin.

Final Fantasy V's story borrows from the first game having the same elements plot, but it's the characters that make the game. More specifically, Galuf, the mysterious old joker with amnesia (although old is relative in Final Fantasy), and Faris, the sassy cross dressing pirate who steals every scene she's in. Let's face it, Faris is probably the only reason this game hasn't fallen into obscurity yet. FFV central theme has a lot to do with inheritance, the younger generation going around fixing the mistakes left behind by the previous generation which reflects on the fact that this was the last traditional Final Fantasy before Sakaguchi handed the director's chair to somebody younger and it shows in comparison to the games that came after. FFV is the end of an era and has done more than enough to deserve a spot on this list.

7.

I'll admit it took me a second playthrough to truly appreciate this game. When I first played it I found the opening segment to be very entertaining only to lose steam as soon as it got to Vaan. The second time around I stuck with it and it paid off in the end. The game gave us characters like Balthier, Fran, Ashe, Basch, and Penelo. Even Vaan wasn't nearly as bad as people made him out to be, he just flopped as a main character around the second half of the game. Minor characters like Larsa was highly enjoyable and Vayne's motivations wasn't as black and white as past villains have been. The political intrigue was something you didn't see in a lot of Final Fantasy games and it made it stand out among the rest all the more.

Then we have the Gambit System that made it possible to adjust the game to your own personal preferences. You could control everybody in your party manually and decide who the party leader was, and whoever the party leader was was the one you played as. Or you can set it to where the computer did most of the work for you. I can't say I found the open world very compelling and I didn't like the monster hunts one bit, but not since Final Fantasy X has a FF game made me want to play all the way to the end to see the story's conclusion. While the game does blatantly rips off Star Wars a lot it's still an enjoyable game to play, and I'd be lying if that final fight between the Empire and the Rebellion didn't get me pumped. This is one game I'm glad I gave a second chance.

6.

Here's another example of a game I had to play twice to truly appreciate. The first time I played this game I was a big VII and VIII fan and so the feel of this game didn't resonate with me as a kid. Not until I played some more of the classic Final Fantasy games that I was able to appreciate this a lot more and it quickly became one of my favorites. The loveable characters, the humor, the old school battle system, this game celebrates everything that the franchise has accomplished up to that point and provided a satisfying experience through them.

Despite the lightheartedness of the game, FFIX tackles a lot of serious themes like identity. A lot of the characters get meaningful development through the game, especially Vivi who struggles through the question of his own existence, and it may very well have one of the more better written love stories between Zidane and Garnet. FFIX embraces the high fantasy setting that the series began with and is everything an old school fan could ask for after the departures that were VI – VIII.

5.
Yeah, I know. You're so surprised to see this here.

Like a lot of you FFVII was my introduction to the franchise and it will always hold a special place in my heart. From the moment it throws you into the action in Midgar it never ceases to amaze me just how much they accomplished with this game. Midgar is seen as such a large place only to be revealed as just one small part of an even greater world waiting beyond it. From its diverse cast to its memorable villains, VII has a little bit of everything to offer.

The game does a good job of making you care about the characters and even Sephiroth manages to be a sympathetic villain when you really think about it. The suspense they add to finding out Cloud's true identity and just the whole buildup to who Sephiroth is and how powerful he is is well executed. FFVII wasn't afraid to kill off one of its main characters in Aerith leaving to one of the most memorable moments in video games history. And the music, we can never forget about the music. FFVII has one of the best musical scores in the series and I can never get tired of listening to them. Whether you think it's the best game of all time or an overrated piece of shit one thing is for certain, this game isn't going anywhere any time soon.

4.
And now I just pissed you off.

Final Fantasy VIII was placed with an impossible task of topping Final Fantasy VII. Why do I say impossible? Because I don't believe any FF will ever top VII in term of financial success or how much of an impact it had on our culture, but damn if it didn't try its hardest. We fought demons, took part in a war, kidnapped the President who turned out to be a decoy who turned into a monster, and attempted to kill a sorceress, and that's just the first disc alone. The game only gets crazier as the story progresses and you either embrace the insanity or reject it altogether. Luckily for me I did the former.

I played a lot more VIII as a kid than I did VII and made it to the end of disc two on my very first playthrough. I got invested in the characters and story and couldn't get enough. The world is also extremely easy for me to remember even to this day. Names, visuals, you name it and I can see it in my head. I have had people try to convince me the characters are annoying, but I don't see it. Squall has his issues, but he overcomes them by the end; Rinoa is fun to be around and I wish I had somebody like her growing up; Zell is just hilarious; Selphie is someone I could imagine a girl her age to be; Irvine is another character whose misery is just fun to laugh at; Seifer and Quistis? Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about them. Maybe these characters would be more annoying if voice acting existed, but as it stands I love them all. Last but not least? Triple Triad.

I didn't understand the Junction system anymore than the next person, but that didn't ruin my experience. SeeD, the Guardian Forces, the Gardens, the Galbadia soldiers, all of these things makes the world feel alive and I'm saddened there aren't just a little more places to explore. Sorceress Edea probably should have been kept as the main villain, but I enjoy the concept behind Ultimecia all the same. She doesn't want power, glory, or world conquest. She just wants to be left the hell alone. That always made her stand out to me. VII is the game that introduced me to the franchise.

VIII is the game that made me a fan for life.

3.
SURPRISE!

Known as Final Fantasy II in America, Final Fantasy IV is responsible for introducing a lot of the staples in the series. The ATB battle system, love story, and cut-scenes through the battle screen was all made possible thanks to Final Fantasy IV. The game gives us stories of redemption, a girl learning how to use her powers, the recovery of lost love, and so much more. FFIV was rocking the love triangle long before VII even came onto the scene.

I'm a little ashamed to admit it took me so long to finally get to this entry. I heard about it a lot, but didn't get around to playing it until last November, and I'm glad I did. You know what this game reminds me of? Game of Thrones. The ruler gone mad, friends coming together to fight against him (however brief), and characters you've come to know and love dying unexpectedly. Golbez made an imposing villain from the first time you see him which only makes it disappointing when Zeromus appears to steal the spotlight away. After playing it for the first time I can see why this is the game the Japanese adore to pieces. I'm right there with you, guys.

2.
Number two!? What does a game have to do to get number one on this list?

Final Fantasy VI dealt with a lot of adult themes in a mature way that was appropriate for even children to see. Love, loss, suicide. The game manages to balance out a large cast of characters and give them all a time in the spotlight. Experiments like the Opera House played out so well that many of us will never forget the first time we went there. Kefka is still to this day considered one of, if not the best video game villain of all time. This game did another thing that nothing at the time dared to do, it allowed the villain a huge victory over the heroes leading to the World of Ruin making it mean that much more when the heroes rose up to take him down once and for all.

Summons weren't just creatures that fought for you. They were an actual race with their own identity and Terra bridged the gap between Espers and humans. This game managed to make me feel sorry for the summons when Kefka mowed them down one by one. Locke and Celes have wonderful chemistry throughout the game and I ship them hard. I never shipped anything before in my entire life. Who could forget Edgar's charm and how much of an loveable doofus Sabin is? This game even allowed me to say no when I thought it'd just loop until I agreed to do what I thought the plot demanded of me. FFVI defies a lot of expectations going in, and I love it all the more for it.

Before I reveal the number one spot let's look at some honorable mentions:

Honorable Mentions
Final Fantasy X-2 – I tried to hate this game, but can't
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Bravely Default – Wait, that's not a Final Fantasy game. Silly me.

Drum roll please! And the covenant number one spot goes to...

1.
This comes as a surprise to no one.

My reasonings for liking FFX is a lot more personal than the other entries. You see, I was raised in a religious household. I worshiped God, prayed, went to church, sang the songs, and read my bible. I can relate to characters like Yuna and Wakka on a personal level due to their ties to religion. When Tidus is asking all these questions about Yevon and Yuna says, “I don't know. It's funny... Before I never questioned it but now... there are a lot of things I don't know.” I can relate to that. I've been there. When Wakka stands unyielding to Rikku's criticism of his religion, I've been there, too. And in my adult life, I've been on Rikku's side of the fence just as frustrated. Religion is as big a part of my identity as anything else. Losing that is scary, painful even, but seeing characters like Yuna and Wakka overcome that to do what's right is inspiring to me, and something that remains with me to this day. In case you're wondering, I was never guilty of racist slurs.

Tidus was never a cry baby to me. There were moments where he made me facepalm, but who hasn't facepalm'd at a person's stupidity? Be it a friend or family member? Tidus has reasons to be the way he is. His father was a jerk and treated his only son like shit. Anyone in that situation would have emotional issues about it, but oh, I forgot, men aren't allowed to display their emotions. They have to be tough or cool all the time. Give me a break! Tidus had a tough upbringing and was then thrown into a world where he didn't know anything. If any of us was in a similar situation, no matter how much we want to pretend we'd be like Auron or Lulu, we'd be just as lost as Tidus was.

Before you think I'm a Jecht hater, I'm not. Jecht starts out as a little shit, but unlike a certain Game of Thrones mother he actually gets the chance to redeem his character. Coming to Spira and being a guardian was his second chance. The message he left behind for his son and telling him he loved him brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. He became kind and gave his life for a cause that was bigger than him. A cause he believed in. Because of this I feel both Father and Son ends up stronger in the end.

These characters felt like real people to me. The world of Spira is beautiful and I always loved the lore. From the history of Yevon to Blitzball. It's a shame the game is so linear because I would have loved to be able to explore more of Spira, but it is what it is. There was a brief moment where I thought I liked VI more than this until somebody asked, “What's your favorite game?” and I named this without hesitation. X managed to replace VII as my favorite and that is no easy feat.

This concludes “ToriJ's Top Ten Final Fantasy Games.” Did you agree with this list? Would you rank some games higher or lower? Let me know, and while you're here check out my reviews for even more Final Fantasy:

1 comment: