Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Justice for All (Spoilers)


Hello and welcome to ToriJ's Video Game Reviews. Two years ago I reviewed the first installment of the series “Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.” Hard to believe it's been two years since I played a Phoenix Wright game.

Believe it or not, Phoenix Wright was the sole reason I bought a Nintendo DS. After being introduced to it through a YouTube Let's Play, though I remember seeing something about it in Nintendo Power and wanting it then, I just had to have it. So, I went out, bought a DS, and then got the first game and it was worth every penny.

I plan to continue my journey with Phoenix Wright, but I'm not alone. Today I have a very special guest. A fellow critic who specializes in Visual Novels: Karifean!

Take it away, Karifean!

Karifean: Justice For All is the second game in the Ace Attorney series. Like its predecessor, it follows the story of Phoenix Wright, a defense attorney, as he defends his clients in courts from being wrongly convicted.

Opposing him are self-centered prosecutors that would go to any lengths to get a “Guilty” verdict. It's up to you to investigate crime scenes and question witnesses to ultimately bring the truth to light and expose the real criminal.

  This guy must have gotten caught in one of the riots. Too soon?

Karifean: In terms of gameplay not much has changed from the first game; it follows the same standard formula but brings some new concepts to the table. Namely, during the second case of the game you get the ability to see people's lies being manifested as locks, so-called “Psyche Locks,” which you can break using evidence to reveal whatever that person may be hiding.

I found them to be quite a good addition to the usual investigating since they work as kind of an inference phase where you recall all the testimony and evidence you've found and put together all the pieces of the puzzle to see just what you've actually learned.

ToriJ: While I appreciate their use, I can't help but groan every time a Psyche Lock reels its ugly... lock... Come on, I'm just asking a simple question. STOP HAVING SO MANY FUCKING SECRETS AND ANSWER!

But this is less an actual criticism of the Psyche Locks and more a compliment to the game's ability to immerse you into the story. I felt as Phoenix did, being hit by road block, after road block and being exhausted by the end of it all.

Another addition to the game is the utilization of character profiles as evidence. Instead of just looking at them through the Court Records like before you can choose to present them while talking to witnesses and use them in court to further prove your case. A small change, but still provides a new dimension to a simple formula.

  No, I'm talking to the other lawyer in a blue suit with spiky hair.

Karifean: The game is mostly linear, albeit with the player being given free reign during the investigation phases. There are no branching storyline paths, although there is one bad ending. The exclamation marks from the first game that represent how many times you can screw up are replaced by a life bar, which allows for more variable penalties. Justice For All also reduces the amount of days for a trial to two instead of the original's three, which I consider a welcome change as it fixed some pacing issues I had with the first game.

ToriJ: I thought I remembered something about trials being three days. I was taken aback at first when there were only two, not that I'm complaining. I can't believe I used to go through three separate court scenes. I must have blocked it out in my trauma or something.

  You'd think it'd be because the victim had a broken neck, but nope!

Karifean: As for the overall story, Justice For All is a bit unfortunately sandwiched between the first and third games which both had incredibly engaging plots, but the story is still quite good. It expands upon plot threads introduced in the first game such as the Fey family's channeling powers, and it certainly lives up to the series' standard of having an absolutely amazing final case.

On the mystery side, the game is pretty good about having its reveals be deductible ahead of time; at least by the start of the second trial day there are enough clues to put the rest of the puzzle pieces together yourself, if you like doing that. Even if you don't, it's just as enjoyable to wait and see everything fall into place all on its own.

ToriJ: The game's cases follow a similar pattern to the first, the first case is about lovers; the second has Maya as the accused; the third is centered around a bizarre bunch of characters; and the fourth is an “All or nothing” battle where you can't afford to make the tiniest mistake.

At first it feels like they're recycling, but the deeper you dig the better it gets. By the second case the game really picks up steams and never fails to impress. The third case in particular stands out to me because there is no clear “bad guy” in all of it. Everyone from the guilty down to the victim all seem like good people and you genuinely feel bad for them.

  If your heart doesn't melt for this girl, THEN YOU ARE MADE OF STONE!

Karifean: The characters are just as great as before. Maya reprises her role as Phoenix's assistant and Gumshoe returns as the main detective. New to the series are Maya's younger cousin Pearl as well as Manfred von Karma's daughter, Franziska, an 18-year-old prosecutor prodigy who ends up being the main opposing prosecutor in this game.

And of course, every case has its own little cast of colorful characters you get to interact with for a good 5-10 hours. Pretty much all of those side characters are well-written and serve their purpose well. There are a few single characters I didn't care for, but apart from those I have no complaints. A good case lives and dies with its cast and Ace Attorney manages to keep it strong at all times.

ToriJ: Although, if Franziska was a real prosecutor she would've been hauled off to jail for assaulting a judge, and a detective, and a lawyer, and several different witnesses! That's not even including the tracking device she planted on a member of LAW ENFORCEMENT! Really, why hasn't this woman been charged yet? I can count at least eight different cases of assault with a deadly weapon! But damn if she doesn't come through for you in the end.

I agree that all the side characters are written well, and I love the main cast. Maya is my favorite character for being so upbeat and Pearl is just the cutest thing I've ever saw! Detective Gumshoe is always a treat to be around and he also comes through for you big time in the end. And don't worry Edgeworth fans, you'll see him in his usual role before the end. At the end of the day this game actually managed to make me like lawyers.

  Nothing will ever beat that sound.

Karifean: Justice For All replaces the OST from the first game with an all-new soundtrack. As someone who loved the previous soundtrack this change was a bit unwelcome to me, but several of the new tracks are really good and it undeniably still fits the series very well. And on the off occasion that one of the original tracks does make a return, the nostalgic feeling that accompanies it is overwhelming.

ToriJ: So much time has passed since I played the first game, that I didn't even notice the change. Obviously I know there are several new soundtracks that I agree fit the series, and I recognize several tracks from the first game. Mainly in places like the office and the courtroom. The song that plays when you cry out “OBJECTION!” is still by far my favorite track.

  Don't say it, Maya!

Karifean: Overall, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Justice For All is certainly a worthy successor to the original. Everything lovable from the first game makes a return and while it doesn't have the kind of overarching storyline the other games in the series all have, its individual cases are very strong, and the final case is definitely one of the most thrilling cases in the series.

The Psyche Locks went on to become series staples, featuring in every mainline Ace Attorney game from there on, and the lore established through Maya's hometown and extended family also runs deep through the entire franchise. And while it may not be quite as amazing as the first or third games, it's a game to be appreciated regardless and a very important chapter in Phoenix's story.

ToriJ: Wait, you're telling me that these become series staples? I'm going to have to deal with MORE of them down the road? REVIEWER TORIJ CHOOSES DEATH!

On second thought, death sucks. Reviewer ToriJ chooses life.

Well, I haven't played the third game yet, but I agree that Justice for All is an enjoyable game possessing a good moral story for why lawyers and prosecutors do what they do. The fourth and final case alone is worth playing through the game for just to experience it. By the ending I actually had a smile on my face.

Karifean: Get it
ToriJ: Get it

Karifean is a member of Eyes on Final Fantasy
Check out his reviews and more at Karifean's Blog of Visual Novels 

No comments:

Post a Comment